Sunday, October 11, 2009

Jesus Didn't Die on A Money Tree

I was recently asked in an email what I thought about the money situation in the church today. It might be a little strong for some, but understand I feel strongly that we need to get back to the true Gospel and many (not all) have been focusing on the wrong things. Below is my response with a couple edits:

"I believe money in the church has become like the bronze serpent in the wilderness. God brought it to provide a supernatural miracle, but they liked it so much they worshipped it more than God. It later had to be destroyed by King Hezekiah. What would happen if God had to take the church's money so it can remember who they are supposed to worship?

1. We need to remember what Jesus said, it is almost impossible for a rich man to enter the Kingdom. "But with God, all things are possible." We like to quote that one, ironically, usually to get money. Jesus used it right after He said it was impossible for rich people to make it to Heaven, which means that God's grace is so amazing that once in a while some rich guy might squeak in :-)

2. We must take the focus off of money and truly put it on people. We decided at Life Church that we are giving half of the tithes and offerings away (to missions, outreach, school uniforms, community, whatever, just outside of the church). The other half will be used for rent, salaries, expenses, etc. Jesus said to "love your neighbor as yourself", so that sounds like a good way.

3. Stop manipulating people to give. Preachers "show the promises" hoping to appeal to the audience's greed to meet their own greed. At Life Church we have a box by the door and once in a while mention that it is there. Christians raise big $$$ at the expense of turning people away who thought maybe Christians were not all about money and dared to step into a church.

4. What about the tithe? Do we have to? Should we? Are we cursed if we don't? 10%? I believe in tithing, we should tithe, like we should pray and read our Bibles. I also believe in singing in church, I enjoy it. What if I don't? I guess I would miss out on something. I don't believe that tithing must be mentioned every week above prayer, the Word or hmmmm, maybe Jesus! :-) We are free from the law so we can do better than the law. The law says I have to clothe my kids and give them an education. It does not say I have to hug them or say encouraging things. I go beyond the law for the sake of love. If we get hung up on the law issue regarding tithing or anything (on either side) then I believe we miss the point. It is not a legal issue, but a love issue. I pray because I love Jesus, I try to be a better person because I love Jesus, I try to be a good husband and father because I love Jesus and I give because I love Jesus. If I go by the law, I get to stop at 10%. If I go by love, then I am going to want to give more and more. The law of love supersedes the law of sin and death.

Money is okay when we don't worship it or store it up for ourselves. I really cannot reconcile lavish lifestyles by well known ministers while their donors eat dog food to keep them on the air. Then they say "You don't know the price I pay...". I think Paul referred to that price as "your reasonable service". The problem is many have forgotten the price He paid and look at the little bit they are doing and feel like it is so much because it helps to ease their conscience about all their stuff. What would they do if Jesus asked them to sell all they had and follow Him? Before you go to the part where He said they will receive all that and more in this present life, just look at how all the disciples finished. Most died in prison or were crucified and counted it an honor to die for Jesus. None drove Mercedes Camels. Most of the preachers on TV are not truly broken for the lost, because if they were, it would be worth it to give up that fancy car to see a few more people saved from eternal damnation.

I speak passionately because God has stirred and challenged me to change the way I think and live. If God has not changed us lately, it can only be because we have not truly been with Him because none of us are really that perfect.

Well, that's what I think about that :-) "

Pastor John

4 comments:

  1. The following web site has over 170 articles against tithing. www.tithing-russkelly.com I would like to dialog with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have neglected the weightier matters of the law: justice and mercy and faith. These you ought to have done, without leaving the others undone." Matthew 23:23

    “But woe to you Pharisees! For you tithe mint and rue and all manner of herbs, and pass by justice and the love of God. These you ought to have done, without leaving the others undone." Luke 11:42

    "Remember this—a farmer who plants only a few seeds will get a small crop. But the one who plants generously will get a generous crop. You must each decide in your heart how much to give. And don’t give reluctantly or in response to pressure. “For God loves a person who gives cheerfully.” And God will generously provide all you need. Then you will always have everything you need and plenty left over to share with others. As the Scriptures say,

    “They share freely and give generously to the poor.
    Their good deeds will be remembered forever.”

    For God is the one who provides seed for the farmer and then bread to eat. In the same way, he will provide and increase your resources and then produce a great harvest of generosity in you." 2 Corin. 9:6-11


    Sowing 10% to me is sowing sparingly. But never mind what I say, Jesus (the Son of God who has more clout than any of us) talked about tithing. Some argue He said that because he had not redeemed mankind yet and was still under the Old Testament, but everything He said in the New Testament was before his crucifixion. That argument would suggest we could throw out anything he said before he died on the cross. It's a ridiculous argument.

    However, the attitude with which you give is very important. That is what Paul was talking about. Basically, don't give with at bad attitude. If you can't give with a good attitude, then don't bother giving at all. Some use 2 Corin. 9 to prove that tithing is the law, but Paul (if you put his letter in context) was talking about a special offering the Corinthian church had promised to the Macedonian church in Greece.

    I've found that those who argue the most about tithing have the worst attitude and use that scripture about not giving grudgingly as an excuse not to give. It's a self-fulfilling prophecy...they stay mad about it so they don't have to give, and from my own personal experience as a former missionary and now pastor, I've found they tend to be the stingiest of givers! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just so everyone knows, JoAnna is responding to those who are on the other side of the coin and don't believe in tithing at all. Both are wrong. Greedy people who manipulate to get your money and stingy people who are motivate by the same greed, just from the other end. It comes down to love. We give because we love. We must focus on Jesus.

    ReplyDelete
  4. p.s. I am new to this blogging thing, so to be clear, I agree with JoAnna :-) , but not with the anti-tithers or the money-mongers

    ReplyDelete